This week heralded the start of a new wine appreciation course I'm running as part of my wine business, Viavino. The course is a tour of the classic regions of France in six sessions. Each session looks at wines from the region or regions in question and compares them against examples made from the same grape varieties from around the world.
The course breaks down as follows:
- White Varieties from Burgundy and the Central Vineyards
Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc
- Red Varieties from Burgundy and Beaujolais
Gamay and Pinot Noir
- White Varieties from Bordeaux and the Loire Valley
Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Sémillon, Muscadelle
- Red Varieties from Bordeaux and the Loire Valley
Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Malbec
- White Varieties from Alsace
Riesling, Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer
- Red Varieties from the Rhône Valley
Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre …
The course is currently full but is repeating in February 2011, so please contact me if you are interested in taking part and do pass on the word.